Help Paying for Child Care

Skip to Content


Use the following links to quickly jump to the desire location in the page.


You are on this page: Help Paying for Child Care

New York State Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP)

The NYS CCAP helps eligible families with some or all of the cost of child care. Each Local Social Services District (LSSD) manages the CCAP with funding and support from the Office of Children and Family Services (OCFS).

Eligibility Requirements

Families may qualify based on income, reasons for needing day care, and a child’s age or individual needs.

Do I Qualify for CCAP?

CCAP Eligibility Questionnaire

New Eligibility Questionnaire!
Answer a short series of questions to see if you may be able to get child care at low or no cost - in 10 minutes or less!

Do I qualify for CCAP?

Eligibility Questionnaire Resources

Income Requirements

Here are the maximum amounts a family can make and still qualify. While this information can be a helpful tool, families should submit an application to their LDSS to find out if they qualify. Income is only one factor to qualify for child care assistance in New York State. Other families may also qualify, based on their specific needs.

Income limits for eligibility by family size.
Family Size Annual Income Limit* see table footnote Monthly Income Limit
1 $51,610 $4,300
2 $67,490 $5,624
3 $83,370 $6,947
4 $99,250 $8,270
5 $115,130 $9,594
6 $131,010 $10,917

* Annual Income Limit numbers are 85% of the NYS Median Income, effective 10/01/23.

Activity Requirements

Currently, the CCAP may be available for most families who need child care to work, look for work, attend employment training, attend an education program, and/or meet income requirements. Contact your LSSD for the most up to date information about what service needs or activities may qualify to meet this requirement.

Family Share (also called Family Copay or Family Fee)

If you qualify, you may need to pay a portion of the cost of care depending on your situation. If you qualify for CCAP, you will receive a notice of approval that includes whether you have a family share, how much it is, and how to pay it.

How to Apply

If you would like to apply for the Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP), many but not all districts accept the below application (OCFS-6025 Application for Child Care Assistance). Prior to completing this application, please contact your LSSD to ensure this application is accepted.

If you would like to apply for Child Care in Lieu of Public Assistance or for other services in addition to child care assistance such as Public Assistance, SNAP, etc., please use the mybenefits link below and contact the LSSD with any questions.

Applications may be emailed, hand delivered, faxed, or mailed it to the LSSD of the county you reside in. The LSSD contact information, including mailing addresses are below. DO NOT send the application to OCFS, it will not be processed. If you have any questions, please contact the LSSD where you live.

When the LSSD receives your application, they will request additional documentation. Please be ready to provide the district copies of your documentation, which may include, but are not limited to:

To find your local agency's contact information, you can search for your local social services district in our contact list:

For more information about the Child Care Assistance Program, and to find other useful resources, please visit the Child Care Assistance Program (CCAP) page.