Office of Children and Family Services

Banner for top of Adoption Page


Family-Type Home For Adults Pub. 1327

You can help others by providing a Family-Type Home For Adults

Pub. 1327. Also available in Spanish.

What are family-type homes for adults?

These private homes pro-vide an atmosphere of family living for adults who are unable to live on their own. Family type homes for adults are provided by people who have a desire to help others and have extra room in their homes.

Each home is limited to a maximum of four residents unrelated to the provider. The homes are certified by the New York State Office of Children and Family Services through its Bureau of Adult Services. County Departments of Social Services are available to assist with the application process, inspections, and placement of residents.

Who are the providers?

Providers are people who enjoy helping others become as independent as possible. Homemaking skills and good com-mon sense are important.

They do not need specialized education or experience to provide a comfortable homelike atmosphere.

Who are the residents?

Residents are people 18 years of age and older who cannot live alone but have much to offer to a family. They may be unable to maintain a home because of advanced age or physical or developmental disabilities, yet they do not need the skilled medical and nursing services provided in nursing homes. Some residents may need supervision and assistance with personal care.

Residents are not confined to your home. Many go to sheltered workshops, schools or senior citizen centers, and take part in other activities. Some are able to do volunteer work in the commu-nity.

How are residents chosen for my home?

Residents are referred by hospitals, doctors, public and private agencies, friends and neighbors, and your county Department of Social Services.

Providers should meet with a prospective resident to ensure an appropriate and compatible placement.

Do I have to own a house?

No. You may either rent or own a house or apartment. There must be adequate light and ventilation, and your house or apar-ment must meet certain standards set by the Office of Children and Family Services.

What are the benefits?

In addition to companionship and the satisfaction of helping others, you will be paid for the services that you provide to your residents. A worker from your county Department of Social Services will explain the income benefits that are available and answer any other questions you have about the program.

For More Information

For more information on becoming a Family-Type Home provider, contact your county Department of Social Services, listed in the phone book under county offices.

In New York City, contact the Human Resources Administration, Division of Voluntary and Proprietary Homes for Adults at (212) 971-2930.

New York State Office of Children and Family Services

Bureau of Adult Services, (518) 473-6446
Capital View Office Park, 52 Washington Street, Rensselaer, New York 12144
Visit our website at:

  • For the phone number of your local APS unit call the Adult Services Help Line at the Human Services Call Center: 1-844-697-3505
  • For information on the Abandoned Infant Protection Act call: 1-866-505-SAFE (7233)
  • For child care, foster care and adoption information call: 1-800-345-KIDS (5437)

Pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, the New York State Office of Children and Family Services will make this material available in an appropriate format upon request.

Pub. 1327 (Rev. 06/2015)

Translate This Page

Google Translation Disclaimer