Who are New York's children awaiting adoption?
In New York State, no child may be adopted
until the parental rights of the birth parents have been relinquished or terminated.
This means that the child is free to be adopted. Typically, nearly 1,000 children
are free for adoption and waiting for you, or someone like you, to offer them
the permanent family life they have been denied. They need love and security.
They need a permanent home. They need you.
- All are valuable, growing children who deserve a loving, permanent family.
- Most, if not all, are children waiting in foster care.
- They are a diverse group of children, primarily African-American, Caucasian, and Hispanic.
- Few are three years old and younger.
- Many are between the ages of 7 and 13.
- Some have physical, mental, or emotional disabilities.
- Many belong to sibling groups who need to be adopted together.