The Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA) was signed into law by President George W. Bush in 2003. The purpose of the act is to: “provide for the analysis of the incidence and effects of prison rape in Federal, State, and local institutions and to provide information, resources, recommendations and funding to protect individuals from prison rape.” (Prison Rape Elimination Act, 2003).
The Department of Justice (DOJ) has promulgated standards for prisons and jails, lockups, residential community confinement facilities, and juvenile facilities. These standards became effective August 20, 2012. Only the Juvenile Facility Standards apply to OCFS and may be found by clicking here. For additional information please visit the National PREA Resource Center website.
- 2015 PREA Annual Report
- 2015 Survey of Sexual Violence Report
- 2014 PREA Annual Report
- 2013 PREA Annual Report
- 2014 Survey of Sexual Violence Report
OCFS PREA Policies
The New York State Justice Center is the focal point for sexual abuse incident reporting and investigations for OCFS. If you suspect an occurrence of sexual abuse in an OCFS residential juvenile justice facility please contact the New York State Justice Center at 1-855-373-2122. All reports of potential sexual abuse will be investigated by the Justice Center. False accusations may result in prosecution.
OCFS routinely reviews policies and practices assessing their effectiveness in reducing and eliminating sexual abuse in residential placement. Prevention, detection and training are keys to success in this area.
All OCFS operated facilities must be audited at least every three years to be considered compliant with the PREA standards. At least one third of the facilities operated by OCFS must be audited each year. The first four OCFS facility audits must occur by August 20, 2014.
The schedule of audits for the 2014-15 audit cycle will be posted here once the dates are finalized.
- Taberg PREA Compliance Audit 2016 Final Report
- Ella McQueen PREA Compliance Audit 2016 Final Report
- Brentwood Residential Center for Girls July 22, 2016
- Taberg PREA Audit Notice July 20-21, 2016
- Goshen Secure Center AUDITOR’S SUMMARY REPORT: June 17, 2016
- Goshen Secure Center PREA Audit June 8, 2016
- Ella McQueen PREA Audit Notice July 12-14, 2016
- Brentwood PREA Audit Notice July 12-14, 2016
- Brookwood PREA Audit Notice June 9, 2015
- Brookwood 2015 PREA Audit Final Report
- Columbia Girls Secure Center September-October 2014 Audit Announcement
- Columbia PREA Compliance Audit October 2014 Final Report
- Finger Lakes PREA Audit Notice 2015
- Finger Lakes Residential Center 2015 PREA Audit Final Report
- Highland Residential Center May 2014 Audit Announcement
- Highland PREA Compliance Audit July 2014 Final Report
- Industry Residential Center 2014 PREA Audit Final Report
- MacCormick Secure Center PREA Audit 2014 Final Report
- Redhook PREA Audit Notice July 28, 2015
- Red Hook Residential Center PREA Audit Report 2015
- Youth Leadership Academy PREA Audit Notice 2015
- Youth Leadership Academy 2015 PREA Audit Final Report
Translate This Page
- Juvenile Justice
- Juvenile Justice Home
- Supervision and Treatment Services for Juvenile program (STSJP)
- Close to Home
- Community Multi-Services Offices (CMSO)
- Community Alert Network
- Detention Risk Assessment Instrument (DRAI)
- DJJOY Facilities MAP
- PREA Compliance
- Regional Facilities Listing
- USDOJ Settlement
- Youth in Care Report