Office of Children and Family Services

Adult Protective Services


To report adult abuse, call (within New York State only):1-844-697-3505 or
contact the local county Department of Social Services Adult Protective Services.

In providing services to impaired adults, it is required for Protective Services for Adults to work with agencies dealing with aging, medical and mental health, legal issues, and law enforcement. Services available by Protective Services for Adults include:

  • Investigation and assessment of the adult's needs and risk of harm
  • Counseling for the victimized adult and their family
  • Advocacy and case management services including arranging for medical and mental health assessments, applying for benefits and assuring coordinated delivery services
  • Finding alternative living arrangements, including providing emergency room and board for up to 30 days
  • Financial management services, including serving as representative payee¨ Homemaker and housekeeper chore services, within specified limits
  • Crisis interventions, such as securing access orders, involuntary protective service orders and orders of protection
  • Long-term legal interventions, such as pursuing guardianship

For further information on any of these services, please contact your local department of social services and ask for Protective Services for Adults.