The following definitions are from New York State Social Services Law Section 473:
- Physical Abuse
- Non-accidental use of force that results in bodily injury, pain, or impairment. This includes, but is not limited to, being slapped, burned, cut, bruised, or improperly physically restrained.
- Sexual Abuse
- Non-consensual sexual contact of any kind. This includes, but is not limited to, forcing sexual contact with self or forcing sexual contact with another person.
- Emotional Abuse
- Willful infliction of mental or emotional anguish by threat, humiliation, intimidation or other abusive conduct. This includes, but is not limited to, isolating or frightening an adult.
- Financial Exploitation
- Improper use of an adult’s funds, property, or resources by another individual. This includes, but is not limited to, fraud, embezzlement, forgery, falsifying records, coerced property transfers, or denial of access to assets.
- Active and Passive Neglect
- Active neglect is the willful failure by a caregiver to fulfill care-taking functions and responsibilities. This includes, but is not limited to, abandonment, deprivation of food, medication, water, heat, cleanliness, eyeglasses, dentures, or health-related services. Passive neglect is the non-willful failure to fulfill care-taking responsibilities because of inadequate caregiver knowledge, infirmity, or disputing the value of prescribed services.
- This is the adult’s inability, due to physical and/or mental impairments, to perform tasks essential to caring for oneself.
Translate This Page
- Adult Protective Services
- Adult Protective Services Home
- Contact APS
- Important Principles of APS
- The Problem
- The Abusers
- The Victims
- Risk Factors
- How You Can Help
- The NYS Cost of Financial Explotation Study
- Elder Abuse Public Service Announcements
- Under the Radar: New York State Elder Abuse Prevalence Study
- Information for Professionals
- Seeking Orders to Gain Access to Adults Believed to be in need of Adult Protective Assistance: Best Practice Guidelines
- APS Links
- Adult Services Newsletter
- Computer-based Training: Facing the Challenges of Dementia