Post Adoption Help for Families
The Office of Children and Family Services is committed to identifying connections to the services most frequently sought by adoptive families in need of support. The contacts listed are intended to cover the broadest range of needs. In this, as in much of the advocacy you do for yourselves, be aware of how the response feels to you. If something does not appear to be meeting your family’s needs, try a different provider or even a different direction.
Toll Free Hotline Telephone Numbers:
- 3-1-1 (New York City only)
- Life Net: 1-800-LifeNet (1-800-543-3638) (English)
- 1-877-Ayudese (1-877-298-3373) (Spanish)
- 1-877-990-8585 (Asian Life Net)
- 1-212-982-5284 (TTY)
- National Youth Crisis Hotline: 1-800-442-HOPE (4673)
- Boys Town Suicide and Crisis Line: 1-800-448-3000 or 1-800-448-1833 (TDD)
- National Runaway Switchboard:1-800-RUNAWAY 1-800-786-2929
- Advocates for Children (Education) Helpline: 1-866-427-6033 (M-F, New York City only)
*** If you or someone you know is currently in immediate danger of being harmed, we urge you to call 911 now.
- Child Welfare Information Gateway
- New York State Citizens' Coalition for Children
- New York State Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services, (OASAS)
- New York State Office for People with Developmental Disabilities
- Life Net
- Center for the Improvement of Child Caring, (CICC)
- New York State Department of Education- Resource for Parents
- New York State Office of Mental Health – Mental Health Resources for the Public
- National Alliance for Mental Illness of New York State (NAMI-NYS)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families
- Resources for Children with Special Needs
- Families Together in NYS, Inc
- Parent to Parent of New York State
- NYS Kinship Navigator Program
OCFS and your local department of social services are available to support and assist adoptive families. Please consider contacting your local department of social services, as well as, the other agencies listed here to help identify needed services, direct you to community resources and other adoptive parents, or just to provide a listening ear.
TANF Post Adoption Funding
New York Council on Adoptable Children (Area served - NYC) (OCFS contact – Meghan Manny Meghan.Manny@ocfs.ny.gov)
Program Contact: Barbara Rincon firstname.lastname@example.org
589 Eighth Ave.
New York, NY 10018
Regional/Permanency - Agency will provide a host of services designed to prevent dissolutions and placement disruptions, including crisis intervention, support groups, parent education and training, family counseling, recreational/cultural activities for families, youth development, money management and information and referral, etc.
Abbott House (Area served – Orange and Dutchess Counties) (OCFS contact – Meghan Manny Meghan.Manny@ocfs.ny.gov)
Program Contact: Hector Morell Hmorell@abbotthouse.net
Irvington-on-Hudson, NY 10533
Regional Center - Abbott House will provide comprehensive adoption/post-adoption services to Orange and Dutchess Counties. Services will include counseling, parent education and training, support groups, referrals, mental health services, educational and legal advocacy, respite and recreational activities.
The Salvation Army (Area served - Onondaga County and surrounding counties) (OCFS contact – Patricia.Bryant@ocfs.ny.gov)
Program Contact: Brenda Rodriguez email@example.com
749 South Warren St.
Syracuse, NY 13202
Core Post Adoption Program - Post Adoption Program which will offer both office and home-based services to children and families in Onondaga and surrounding counties. The program provides a full range of services designed to meet the unique needs of adoptive families. Services include clinical services, parent education and training, information and referral, supportive and wrap around services as well as advocacy.
Other Post Adoption Resources:
- Albany Region
- Parsons Child and Family Services (2 Programs)
- Buffalo Region
- New York City
- Spring Valley
Translate This Page
- Adoption Home
- Adoption Album Photolisting
- Adoption Services Guide
- Silverlight Adoption Album
- Family Adoption Registry
- Video Gallery
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Adoption Agencies
- Adoption Subsidy Information
- The Interstate Compact on Adoption and Medical Assistance
- The Interstate Compact on the Placement of Children (ICPC)
- Other Adoption Resources
- Post-Adoption Help for Families
- Tax Benefits
- Contact Adoption
- About NYS Adoption Service